Pages

Live well, Laugh often, Love much

Friday, June 28, 2013

Day 11...HALFWAY!!

     Wahoo!!! I can't believe I made it this long! I have been working on finding some kid-friendly recipes to try out while on this diet. My family has been great about trying some of the foods I am eating. They are ok with the smoothies...it's just a kid thing I guess. I got a NutriBullet today so I am going to start working on some green-smoothie recipes that include my protein AND my vegetables. Check back for those! My kids really haven't liked anything I offered them this past week and a half. The foods I am eating are pure and natural. I am a little sad I let my family eat so much bad food up this point. They are used to the unhealthy ways I have been teaching them. I agree that it all tastes SO good! I love butter and salt and sugar!! That is normal in our super-sized society these days. I do think with some of these changes I am making, they will slowly come around. Rob actually ate dinner with me this evening! We had turkey tacos with romaine lettuce. I know he didn't love it but he ate it all so that must mean something, right?! I am so grateful for how supportive he has been and I recognize how many things he has been giving up in support of me. We don't eat out anymore. We don't make our Maverik stops. We don't eat ice-cream or chips or candy. Rob and the boys went to Subway yesterday and after he texted and told me, I had a little tiny meltdown over not being able to eat there but realized this isn't forever and once I have answers, I will only have to avoid certain things rather than everything. :-) I tried to pretend my turkey sausage was a cheeseburger and my cabbage was fries but my brain and my taste buds were NOT having any of that. :-)
     Back to my kid-friendly recipes! I found one for sweet-potato fries that I will try out and post another day. I found MANY for chicken nuggets but they all had one or more ingredients I can't have. So, I made up my own and it turned out better than I thought. Normally, I wouldn't have like it, but in my quest for health, any new foods are exciting! Next time, I will add more seasoning, but it was a nice change! Here is what I did:

Chicken Nuggets 

2 chicken breasts, cubed
1 C quinoa flour
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tsp tumeric
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp ground mustard
5 Tbs. olive oil

Put the seasoning in a Ziploc bag or container and mix it up. Put cubed chicken in the seasoning and shake it. I could have cooked it at this point with very little seasoning on it. Add the oil and shake it again. Pour or spoon out pieces of chicken and bake for 12-15 minutes on a foil-lined cookie sheet.

Fake Honey-Mustard Sauce
1 C unsweetened applesauce
2 Tbs. Dijon mustard (or add until you like it)

It was simple and sweet but still a little tangy. (I can't have honey)

Keep in mind, I am still experimenting, but there you go!!

No comments:

Post a Comment