Pages

Live well, Laugh often, Love much

Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Flexibility Brings Fun

We had a picnic with the ants yesterday! Yes...you read that right! We ate with the ants...not aunts.  It was an interesting day. Actually, it's been an interesting week! 
 
Those of you who know me well, know I struggle with change. And the unknown. I like a plan and a routine. I know change is good and often for a reason. And I can adapt...it just takes me some time to wrap my brain around the change that is happening. And I often pretend it isn't happening so I don't have to face it. Not always the best solution. 😜 
My need for details often frustrates me. I want to be flexible and spontaneous, but it is hard for me to feel out of control of the situation.  And I'm afraid of the unknown. I've noticed lately that this need for details has spread to my children. And I need to fix it! Starting now...why not today, right? πŸ˜‰ (Eric) 

As many of you know, we were in Hawaii last week for a family vacation. It was so nice and relaxing! And SO hard to come back. We had a few things on our agenda while we there, but most of the time was unstructured free time. One of the days, Rob and I decided we wanted to explore the island. Just get in the car and go. The boys didn't like that idea one bit! The questions began. Where are we going? What are we going? What will we do there? Is there a beach? Can I get a toy???  I didn't have answers. We were just seeking an adventure! So I told them, "We are going to be flexible. You never know where we will end up or what we will see. Just go with it!" They didn't love the answer, but it was ok. And we had a great time! 
 
Yesterday, my parents "family-napped" us! I told the boys we were going on an adventure. Then came the questions! I told them they could stay home or see where we end up. A couple of them weren't thrilled but they did come with us! My parents took us for a drive and a picnic up on Kolob mountain. 

 
As we picnicked with the ants and ate our Lunchables, I noticed the beautiful Quaking Aspen trees all around us and the amazing wild flowers. The stillness of nature was occasionally interrupted with the sound of the"quaking" leaves. I LOVE those trees! I learned from my wise momma that the Quaking Aspens are the largest living organism and share one root system. Every tree is a sprout! Amazing! I also noticed my boys weren't enjoying nature like I was. One of them had to sit in a chair so he wouldn't get dirt on him. One wouldn't put his feet down because the ants or spiders would crawl on him. The other ate quickly so he could stand up. The short moment we were out in the beautiful mountains was so foreign to my kids, it wasn't fun for them. I have some work to do with these kids!  
 


 
 
 
Some of my favorite memories growing up include trips like this with my family. We would get our drink and treat and head somewhere to find a hike or a pretty spot. I loved those times and have often thought about visiting some of those places with my own children. Now that my kids are a little older, it is easier to travel. I am looking forward to creating memories we will talk about again sometime. Things like some of those we experienced yesterday. The 4-wheeler that crashed into the lake, the gross hole-in-the-floor campground toilet, and the non-stop comedy comments and voices coming from my hilarious child in the back seat. And I loved spending time with my parents. I don't get to to do that much anymore now I am a grown-up. πŸ™„ It was a great day!

A favorite thing about the day: On our way to Kolob, we saw a sign/marquis that read, "put on your positive pants". That is so great! There was one particular point in my life when I was struggling to be positive. My mom kept reminding me to make the choice to "get on the happy bus". The idea of riding the "happy bus" and kicking the negative people off our bus stuck with me and I still use that with my kids....and myself. 😊 
NOW, I can ask them if they are wearing their  "positive pants"! Ha! What a great reminder! Whatever it takes to turn the daily challenges into something manageable, right? I am so grateful for my parents for giving us this fun experience and for helping to lift my spirits! Love you mom and dad! 
 
 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment