We didn't really have a plan this morning. That is a difficult idea for some of the Dodge family members...my own children included. I'm tired. My kids are tired. My husband is tired. Sunburn does NOT equal peaceful sleep! I just couldn't handle the morning routine of packing the cooler and the towels and the snacks and the chairs and the sunscreen and the boogie boards and the water shoes and on and on. I just couldn't! So my immediate family just got in the car and went. We started the day at Hukilau Cafe. The macadamia nut pancakes were delicious!! Ate WAY too much! D had banana pancakes. J had chocolate chip pancakes. T had a breakfast combo and Rob had ham and eggs. The portions were enough for five families!! It was awesome!
We drove some more and ended up in Miliani at Walmart. Water and aloe vera. Ha! It was fun to see the paintings/murals on the sides of the buildings as we drove by! I wonder what the story is behind them.
After awhile, we ended up in Haleiwa for lunch and some shopping. We found some chocolate covered macadamia nuts. Yum!! Definitely my favorite treat! We had lunch at a place called Fatboy's Plate Lunch.
Eric found it on Yelp. It has only been open for two days so he was able to give their first review. It was delicious! I had a teriyaki plate lunch and Rob had a katsu chicken plate lunch. For those of you who have not had the privilege of partaking in the famous (or infamous after eating the whole thing) plate lunch, it comes with sticky rice and macaroni salad. Yummy!! My mouth is watering just writing about it! The boys had a "hamboyger" with cheese. They didn't really like it because it was more like a meatball or meatloaf. A very BIG meatball. But all boys tried it and the teriyaki chicken! I was so proud of them for giving it a shot. We will most likely end up at McDonalds tomorrow to make sure they get something to eat. 😖
After lunch, we headed back for rest time while we waited for the rest of the family. On the way back, we drove by Ted's Bakery. I've heard it is really good! From the outside, it looks a little "sketchy" according to D. After we passed it, I told Rob they supposedly had really good cinnamon rolls. He immediately slammed on the brakes in the middle of the road, made a u-turn, and we ended up at Ted's. Rob's favorite sweet treat is cinnamon rolls. Maybe I should have told him sooner???
On their way back to the house, Eric, Andy, Ashton, and Nikell rented paddle boards while my parents tended the other kids. On a beach. In Haleiwa. With no planning or preparation. They are really great sports when it comes to tending the grandkids! I heard the beach was a pretty gross one but they still had fun. T doesn't care as long as there is water!
When everyone came back, we packed it up again and went back to Hukilau Beach. So far, it is our favorite! T and D got more experience with the boogie board and the uncles taught them how to properly jump or dive into waves...if there is a proper way to do it. Ha!
We stayed until the tide came in and the jelly fish came out. We had grilled cheese sandwiches for dinner.
We had our "favorite part of the day" sharing again. It is a great tradition that I always need to do with my own children. It is so fun to hear different perspectives and what the kids remember. Even though my mom started it, Ashton reminds us each night. It is great!
Tomorrow is a very special day! My mother's birthday! She is such a special lady! There was a time when she went through some major struggles and I was afraid I would lose her. She pulled together all the strength she could find within her and turned things around. I am grateful that she is still in my life. She has helped me through so much in my own life and the lives of my children and my brother's lives and I love her so much! She is my support, my nurse, my cheerleader, my best friend! Thank you mom for everything! I'm so happy we can spend your birthday together as a family! It will be a great day!!
Thanks. A mothers pearls are her children.
ReplyDeleteLove the posts Emily! Happy birthday Laurel! I hope you have an amazing day!
ReplyDeleteLoving the post. Glad your still having a great time.
ReplyDelete