The night before our return trip, I couldn't sleep because I worried about D during the night and hoped he wasn't going to have any major reactions to the jellyfish sting. Of course, when I googled jellyfish sting symptoms I got the typical list of deadly symptoms. So I had to check his breathing multiple times! Sheesh!! But he was just fine. Here is the sting mark 24 hours later...almost completely gone and no pain!
Then I was worried and stressed out about packing and all of the airport nonsense waiting for us. And I was dreading the long flight. So I didn't get much sleep.
The flight was uneventful and dull...fortunately! But the toilets were awful! Kind of made me never want to fly again! One was stuck on continuous flush and the other two filled up and wouldn't close. GROSS!! As one who doesn't do well with public bathrooms as it is, let's just say I definitely tested my bladder control. TMI?!? Ha! On the flight over, we were in the same seats...near the front. And we pretty much had that bathroom to ourselves because it was used by the pilots and the flight attendants. On the flight back, the flight attendant kept locking it with a key so it stayed "occupied" and no one could use it. 😖 But we survived and we made it! Our snack backpack saved us! Rob made a bunch of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches to take with us and they went quickly! However, T really wanted to try a snack from the plane. They were charging for everything, but Granny ordered him a little snack pack and he loved it! The flight was a little shorter than it was on the way over, so that was nice! It seems like we waited forever for our luggage to show up, but we were soon on the road. We stopped at Loves gas station just outside of Vegas to eat Subway breakfast samdwiches... one of our favorite things to eat! Interesting conversation with my boys while there. While we were waiting in line, a Hispanic man said something to the boys about their drinks. We couldn't understand him very well and the boys kind of looked away. He then made a remark about how its ok to not talk to strangers. We paid and headed over to a table. We were eating and J stood up on the leg rest of his stool to see his cousins, and he slipped. He bumped his elbow and scraped his back. He started to cry a little. An older woman with scraggly hair and a walking cane was walking by. She came over and asked him if he was ok. She said it is ok to cry and that she cries all the time. It was an interesting scenario and I didn't think much of it. When she walked away, T commented on how people there were really nice. First the guy in line and then the lady. Neither of those people knew us but with just a couple of words, they connected with us. With everything going on in our world right now, and he hate that circulates so frequently, I'm happy my children noticed that we don't have to know people to be nice to them. I really hope they continue to find kindness and love in their world since they are growing up in such a scary time!
We are happy to be home! We miss the ocean, the carefree schedule, the adventure. There is just something calm and relaxing about the ocean and I need to find a way to experience that in my daily life. We are tired...jet lagged... still on island time. Lots of unpacking and laundry to do. But it was a great vacation and I am grateful to my family for making it happen!!
Thanks for sharing your vacation with us. Great reads all the way through,
ReplyDelete