As I mentioned in an earlier post, the introduction of foods began with eggs on July 9th. Two days after starting eggs, I broke out with a mild case of hives. No eggs for awhile. :( I felt so much momentum up until that point. I was very discouraged that I couldn't even eat the very first food I introduced. I wanted to give up, quit, eat whatever I wanted. With the support of family, I was able to stay strong and get through it! Since that point, I have introduced tomatoes, beef, and oats with NO problems. The introduction process allows me to eat one serving of the new food the first day, two servings the next day, two days off the food and on the fifth day I get to introduce another food and keep eating the current food. Each time I tried a new food, it was like Christmas! SO EXCITING!! Then came...peanuts!! As my mom predicted, that didn't go well. I've been a victim of migraines throughout my life and times of stress just enhance the probability one will surface. In the past, these headaches were triggered by peanuts, processed meats, and chocolate. DANG IT!! Still a culprit. I had a BAD headache for two days, body aches, sweats and just overall feeling yuck. Very frustrating because I LOVE peanuts...and used to eat them in one form or another almost everyday. Hmmm...that is suspicious, right?
Well, after the tragic introduction of the peanuts and the doctor's assurance that the reactions are pretty normal, I started Greek yogurt this week. Dairy takes longer to introduce so I don't get to introduce the next food until next week. Even though I am not really a big fan of the healthier version of yogurt, Christmas again!! It was exciting to create one more interesting combination! I added it to the almond granola (recipe to come later) I made and put some blueberries in it and feasted! Still feeling ok...
Since I started this journey almost two months ago, I have lost 10 pounds for a total of 25 pounds GONE! Weight Watchers has been a challenge since the points values for the things I can eat are either really high or worth no points. Tracking has been tough. Exercise is what is helping me the most. My mom comes to my house two or three mornings a week and we walk around the neighborhood. I walked 3 miles this morning! I haven't consistently exercised like that in...well...ever! Ha! She told my brothers she comes out to the neighborhood to "walk Emily" and they were appalled because that sounded like she was walking me like a dog. Unfortunately, that is about how it is. She is my motivation and my inspiration and I really believe I wouldn't make the effort to walk without her. She has been a HUGE resource along my path and I can't even express how grateful I am to her!
I working on finding some stress management techniques that will help me protect my body and emotions while recovering from adrenal fatigue. I attended a yoga class at Downtown Yoga and had an amazing experience! In the moment, everything was clear and my actions had purpose. I definitely want to continue with the yoga! Journaling has been a huge help in allowing me to express what I am feeling and what I need. Relaxing music to help wind down before bed has also been helping me. Exercise and having a walking partner to discuss the problems of the world is helpful. I have a LONG way to go before I completely tackle this stress beast, but I am definitely on the right path!
I wish I could say I am one hundred percent and everything is better but that is not the case. I used to have one or two good days each week. I now have one or two bad days each week. Definite improvement! However, I start back to teaching next week and I don't know how things will be when I don't have the time to focus on myself and my health like I have been able to this summer. I am excited AND anxious for a new school year! I am really looking forward to facing the school year with the newer version of me!
No comments:
Post a Comment