Pages

Live well, Laugh often, Love much

Friday, September 6, 2013

New Food and Being Grateful

    I am kind of at a standstill right now as far as introducing new foods. I joke with my doctor about this process and I am not sure he is very appreciative of some of my comments. Sometimes I have a tendency to be a little...sarcastic...(*gasp*). I know...it's hard to believe! When people ask me what I am doing to lose weight, my first response is, "I'm on the no food diet." Ha! I crack myself up!
     Last week, Dr. S asked me if there was anything else I could think of to introduce before the big gluten, corn, carb introduction. I responded, "Unless it is ice cream or chocolate, I am good for now." Again...not appreciative.
    In ALL seriousness...this diet has worked wonders for me and I am feeling better than I have in years! I am grateful I found this program. I am grateful for my family and friends and their support. I am grateful I can actually make it through the day without a nap...that one is a stretch as far as being grateful since I love naps. But, I don't actually have to nap to function. YAY! I still have some rough days...I probably will for awhile...but overall, I am feeling great!

New recipe to try this weekend:

Millet-Quinoa Tortillas
Dry Ingredients:
  • 1/3 cup millet flour (or brown rice flour)
  • 1/4 cup quinoa flour
  • 1/2 cup tapioca starch
  • 1 teaspoon corn-free baking powder (Hain brand or homemade for corn-free)
  • 3/4 teaspoon xanthan gum or guar gum (I use a corn-free variety from Authentic Foods)
  • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
Wet Ingredients:
  • 2 teaspoons pure honey or agave syrup
  • 1/3 cup warm water
  • 3 tablespoons non-hydrogenated shortening, such as Spectrum
Makes 6 tortillas
In the bowl of your electric mixer use the paddle attachment to combine the dry ingredients on low speed.
Add the wet ingredients and continue to mix until a dough forms around the paddle. Mix the dough on medium speed for an additional minute. The dough will be slightly sticky and springy. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and chill for 30-45 minutes.
After chilling, divide the dough into 6 equal portions and form each into a round ball. Keep the dough balls lightly covered with plastic wrap as you work to prevent them from drying out. On a lightly-floured counter, press down one ball at a time with your finger tips, until you have a flattened disk of dough. Using a floured rolling pin, roll out the tortilla to 1/8 inch thickness. Preheat a greased skillet to medium-high. Cook tortillas one at a time for approximately 1-2 minutes on each side, flipping carefully with a thin spatula.
The cooked tortillas will have golden brown spots on both sides and may bubble a bit as they cook. Flip the finished tortillas onto a plate, stacking them on top of each other as you go. Cover with an inverted plate as the little bit of steam that’s created is key. Serve warm. Store in an airtight bag in the refrigerator for 4-5 days. Reheat tortillas on a hot skillet or briefly in the microwave to regain their flexibility.
DSC_1151 
From: www.freeetsfood.com

I will post about how it tastes!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment